300 gram(s) headless prawns shelled, deveined and cleaned
½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
1 large onion chopped
1 teaspoon(s) each of coriander and red chilli powders
1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
4 bay leaves
2 cup(s) long-grain rice, preferably Basmati
4 cup(s) hot water
1 tablespoon(s) ghee(clarified butter) / butter
salt to taste Grind to a fine paste:
1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon pieces
1 tablespoon(s) chopped ginger
2 green chillies chopped
4 green cardamoms peeled
salt to taste
water required to grind the paste
Making of Spicy Prawn Rice:
- Rub the prawns with some salt and half the quantity of turmeric powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee / butter in a heavy bottomed pot and saute the prawns on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Remove the prawns with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Add the bay leaves and cumin seeds to the same pot. Saute briefly.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they are golden brown. Add the rice, the ground paste, turmeric, red chilli and coriander powders. Stir fry briefly.
- Add the prawns, salt and the hot water. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or till all the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked but firm.
- The prawns need not be of a big size for this dish.
- Basmati is an aromatic long-grain rice variety. Any other long-grain rice would do as well.