1/2 Kg neatly cut through the center, when cut this way the masala gets in more deeper.
Chilli Powder : 2 spoons
Salt : 1/2 – 1 spoon (as your taste bud requires)
Ripe tomatoes : 1 – 2 based on the size.
If its too big just use one If you are really courageous try other sauces along a) Vinegar, Chilli and Tomato ( Tip from my father, but I never had the courage to try it)
Steps for preparation:
- Clean the fish thoroughly – remove any scales, black dried blood etc with fresh water. Take a big bowl so that you can make the mix well.
- Dry the water from the fish after cleaning.
- Add chilli powder, salt and squeeze the tomatoes on top of it and mix it gently.
- If you have sensitive hands, allergic to chilli, ask your hubby to do the mixing or use a wooden stick.
- But mixing is very important, it should be done only from corners.
- I wish I could support what I am trying to say with some pictures.
- Make sure the fish doesn’t break or you dont mix hard that the fish becomes a jelly finally.
- Leave it to soak for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Heat the pan, for chennai style use Idhayam nal ennai (Idhayam Gingelly oil) for kerala style use coconut oil (more tasty more fatty)
- Place the fish pieces evenly on the pan, make sure you add enough oil, forget about healthy cooking for the time being, lets talk about delicious cooking.
- Wait till the fish becomes reddish brown, change sides using a wooden handle.
- If you like it half baked ( you need not turn it over)… its time for you to turn off the heat and start tasting. If you like it the deep fried style, crunchy turn it over wait for the same reddish brown color.
- Turn off the heat. Hurrayyyy!
- There you go a great Fish Fry is ready for your savouring.
- I call the the bachelors dish or the new wives dish, as you see the simplicity in making it.
- Will give you the recipe on making a Fish kolumbu (gravy) pakka Virudhunagar nadar style next time.
- Till then CIAO!!