900 g / 2 lb – trout
90 ml / 6 tbsp – mustard oil
4 – tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 – white radish, sliced
2.5 ml / 1/2 tsp – ground turmeric
2.5 ml / 1/2 tsp – chilli powder
2.5 ml/1/2 tsp – ground ginger
4 – cloves
2 – cinnamon sticks
2 – cardamom pods
pinch – asafoetida salt
- Cut the fish into 5 cm/2 in cubes and wash in salted water.
- Pat dry. Heat 60 ml/4 tbsp of oil and fry the fish and radishes until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the tomatoes, turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida, ginger and remaining spices and simmer gently for 10 minutes, adding a little water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Add the fish.
- Season with salt and simmer until the fish is tender.
- Leave to stand for 2 hours.
- Serve reheated or cold with plain rice.